Sunday, February 25, 2018

Scrappy all over

I spent the afternoon in the studio today, putzing around with various projects.
First up, I got pieces cut for Libby's Mystery Quilt.  I picked out the red snowflake print for my light right off the bat, but couldn't decide whether to go with red, orange, or purple for the contrasting color.  So naturally I found a batik that included all those colors.  Win!


And I sewed the first row of Burgoyne blocks together, complete with sashing across the top.



I'm hoping if I get it all sewn together that it will forestall any efforts to make more blocks.  Though I think I might actually have to sew a border on in order to really make my heart accept that this quilt is big enough.

Though I might have stumbled on something that could help.  I found this quilt pattern online, see, and then I shared it with my friend  Cathy, who agreed with me that it's pretty phenomenal and phenomenally pretty.
It's here.  Go look and tell me that it isn't just screaming my name.
I've already got lots of triangles after all.


And the blocks are pretty simple to assemble.


And I only need 2048 HSTs.
For some silly reason, they named this quilt Garden Mosaic.
I don't know what Cathy is going to call hers, but I'm calling mine Totally Demented.

Linking with Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!  Come see what everyone's doing with their scraps!



18 comments:

Libby in TN said...

OMG, I may have to try that! Thanks for the shout out, BTW. Your fabrics will work well with the mystery blocks.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Ok - that quilt is totally tripping me out... I don't think I could make it, I'd feel like I was high the whole time!

Karen's Korner said...

That is a lot of HSTs. Good luck on getting them done.

Cathy said...

Oh my hell! That is insane! I think I’d rather have a root canal than try to trim that many HSTs (having my arm fall off in the process). Although Wanderingcatstudio above was right, it is totally trippy! It’ll be fun watching you and Cathy torture yourselves with this one....

Cathy said...

Oh come on...I don't even have anything cut yet for Totally Demented! (or Libby's mystery because I know I will need more than four 8 inch blocks so trying to figure out what FQs to use).


BS I love you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Angie of Quilting on the Crescent was just asking when I would be starting my own Burgi. Seeing yours, it may be sooner than I thought! And your next quilt??? I would need to call mine Garden Variety Madness!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm in for Libby's mystery, loving your progress on Burgoyne, and OMG on the garden mosaic one! Lol! But anything in the name of good scrappy fun, right?!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Garden Mosaic is one of those quilts that will be worth the effort, but seriously---yikes!!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I will definitely be watching this one from the sidelines. Your BS quilt is looking fantastic. Now I kinda wish mine was more scrappy.

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Louise said...

That's a really cool pattern! "Longer term" is right. Like maybe 2-3 years to make a few blocks at a time...

Angie said...

Wowzers! That's more of an OMG than Sue Garman's OMG!

Mystic Quilter said...

2048 half square triangles!!!! You're brave to take on so many - do you use ruler and cutter or an Accuquilt?

Robin said...

I really like your choice of the red batik. It is a beauty. The BS block is one I've always wanted to make. Isn't it wonderful that the enthusiasm for a new project is ever eternal!!! I love the Garden Mosaic. That will be a labor of love. . .

Sally Trude said...

Okay, I did swoon over Totally Demented. And I jumped right in with 1.5 inch blocks (instead of 2 inch). Unfortunately, I would have to sew more carefully than my current pay grade or I would have sewn off points after I joined the unit patches. Bummer. So I will leave it to the professionals and watch with envy as yours grow!

Kate said...

Love it, Totally Demented is absolutely perfect! You've got lots of fun scrappy stitching to do now.

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, yes, that quilt is totally "your" quilt, Gayle. As busy and crazy as it is, and with so many pieces, I can still imagine you finishing before summer's over! And your Burgoyne blocks -- wonderful! You know, you could make two quilts....

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I have very much enjoyed seeing your Burgoyne blocks over time / I love this project :)

Ivani said...

OMG only 2048 HST!!!! I have to take my hat off to you!!! That quilt is amazing.